My race schedule is finally complete! I usually have it set in stone by the end of the prior year but this year was a bit different because I was busy weighing the pros and cons of racing as a pro. I decided to stick to the amateur ranks this year and here is the plan:
March 19th - Spring Thaw 5k
April 10th - Chase the April Fool 5k
April 18th - Boston Marathon
June 5th - Raleigh 70.3
June 12th - Eagleman 70.3
July 16th - Lake Waramaug Sprint Triathlon
July 24th - Ironman Lake Placid
September 11th - Santa Cruz 70.3
October 8th - Kona (pending qualification in Lake Placid)
- I'll be racing the Spring Thaw 5k, a local 5k to get back in the swing of racing and to help support a friend of mine who is directing the race.
- I'll be the "Fool" that everyone is chasing at Chase the April Fool 5k! Come out to Liberty State Park and see if you can catch me!
- Most of my schedule was created with "going pro" in mind, potentially next year.
- Raleigh and Eagleman are just 7 days apart, which is an experiment to test my ability to recover and to see what it's like to race back to back weekends like some of the pros do. I will take that week off of work in between and spend the time in either Raleigh or Cambridge doing all that I can to recover and be ready to race Eagleman. Should be interesting!
- The Lake Waramaug Sprint Triathlon is our annual Race for Justin, my brother who died of cancer in 2008. Each year we raise money from family and friends for St Jude's in his name. St Jude's was Justin's favorite charity and he would often pass monetary gifts on to St Jude's so that one day no child will have to go through what he went through. Support the cause please! Blog on that in the coming months :-)
- I love Ironman Lake Placid! It was my first and second Ironman and I want to go back to challenge myself on the course.
- I chose Santa Cruz 70.3 so that I could test my ability to travel for a 70.3 like the pros do all the time. To this point, I've only ever flown to a full Ironman.
See you at the races!